BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday 25 February 2011

Flat Plan Evaluation - Front Cover

Before actually producing the magazine, we had to create a flat plan, directing how the final magazine will look, which includes the front cover, contents page and double page spread. I will now justify the choices I made for the flat plan, and also compare it to the previous research I carried out, in regards to this. Furthermore, I will state any changes that I would like to mate when creating the final piece.

Masthead

 I chose to do the masthead in red, as I think that this colour is the most suitable one for the title of the magazine, as it’s bold and exciting. I realise that the font of the masthead isn’t exactly smooth, but I did this on purpose, as I thought it would be interesting to have the font as a contrast to the name, giving the magazine an edge, showing the true reality of R’n’b / Hip Hop music. Furthermore, I think this font relates well with the genre, as it as an upbeat look to it. I believe that this will appeal to the consumers.

Colour Scheme

The main colour scheme of the front cover is black, red and yellow. However, there is also a hint of blue used, where I thought it was necessary, as these parts can be seen as the key points of the cover. I realised that this may seem a bit too much, by having the usage of four different colours, therefore, when it comes to creating my front cover, I will have to re-think this, and experiment with the colours to see if I can actually narrow it down to just three colours. Furthermore, two shades of red are included. I chose a darker tone for the start of the ‘R’s’, and for ‘JLS,’ as I thought this will make it stand out more. However, this might change as it might not go according to plan, which is another thing I’ll have to reconsider when producing the front cover. The background colour will either be grey or white. White is a very popular colour to have for a magazine, so most probably, it will be grey; as I thought it would be interesting to do something different, and slightly change it to grey, which will also go well with the other colours, as well as the image.

Selling Line

The selling for the front cover is placed at the top of the magazine, which is, ‘THE UK’S LEADING R&B MAGAZINE.’ I decided to have the background of this strip a different colour to the rest of the magazine, as this will make the selling line stand out more, and make it eye-catching. Therefore, I chose the colour yellow, which also matches the button. The text will be in capital letters, and in black, making it bolder. I haven’t exactly decided on what the font will be, but I do know that I will keep it simple, as I find this is what would be most appropriate.

Main Image

For the main image, I decided to do a mid-long shot of the artist, posing with her hips slightly bent, one arm on the hip, and the other arm touching her face. This was inspired by Lady Gaga, as it resembles her pose that she did for the front cover in the ‘Smash Hits’ magazine. I chose to do this particular pose as its eye catching, yet it also has a ‘sexy’ factor to it, and is also ‘girly.’ The only difference is the position of the pose. Lady GaGa is turned to the side, whereas on mine, the model’s body will be facing directly at the camera, emphasising more on the angle – of – gaze as well, which will invite the reader in. I decided that the model will wear a black dress, as it’s simple, yet attractive. Furthermore, it relates in well to the rest of the colour scheme of the magazine, making it all come together. The dress is sleeveless and short to some extent, showing her arms and a bit of her legs, which gives it a ‘sexy’ factor to it. This occurs a lot in all types of magazines with females, as it’s attractive. However, in my case, not too much skin is showing, which is what I wanted, as I didn’t want it to seem too extreme. Extra accessories are also included such as bangles and belts, which is just for the image. This can also represent her ‘girly’ side, illustrating that she likes these sorts of things. I decided to leave her simple, by just having it straight, slightly back combed for extra effect, and one side over the shoulder. Overall, I am happy with this being the main image of my front cover, as well as the rest of the magazine. However, finding the exact same dress may be hard, so I may need to re-think that part, and find the next closest clothing I can to this style.

Other Images

There will be no other images present on the first cover. The reason for this is because the main image itself is so big, that it requires majority of the space from the page. Furthermore, by having more images, it will cause a distraction, making the page seem a bit cluttered. Therefore, I think that having one image is appropriate, as this image is appealing in itself.

Articles

The articles all included on this page are related to current artists, who match the genre of the magazine. I’ve played around with words to make it sound more exciting, including techniques such as alliteration, as shown where it says ‘Red Rihanna Returns.’ The articles featured on the front cover can be seen as what would attract people the most, however, all the other articles are shown on the contents page. When it comes to the font, I haven’t actually decided which one I will be using. I will be using more than one font, which will only be used to focus on important aspects, such as ‘Kiara,’ as this should stand out from the rest of the text. I will keep all the fonts simple, as I don’t want the page to seem too over the top.

Button

As an extra feature on the front cover, I decided to include the use of a button, as I realised many magazines have this. Buttons are mainly used for the purpose of informing readers about things they can find inside the magazine, such as posters, tickets, competitions etc. however, I decided to have the button to illustrate tickets that can be won, therefore, indicating that the magazine also has competitions inside. This will then attract people to the magazine, as they will want to know what the tickets are for, and what the competition is.  The button will be in yellow, as this colour stands out the most, and is different from all the other colours on the page. The colour of the text inside the button will be black and red, as these two colours work well with yellow, making it stand out even more. ‘TWO’ and ‘WON,’ will be in red, as I think these are the two most important words of the text inside the button, which will be what the consumer sees first.

0 comments: